AZ Sweetheart Search

Custom Search

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Thank You Thursday

I'm big on New Year's Resolutions.  You see, I figured out the secret - for me, anyway.  There's no magic switch that flips when the ball drops and makes you magically perfect at something you weren't perfect at the day before!  I used to set resolutions like "I'm going to do this special thing every single day without fail for the entire year."  I would start out great January 1, January 2, maybe even January 3, but by the time January 4 and January 5 rolled around, I was was reminded how perfect I am not and would already miss a day.  Since I had failed, I would think "better luck next year" and go back to my old, slothful ways.  But now that I realized there's no magic switch, I do things a little differently.  My resolutions are my goal of where I want to be by the end of the year.  So instead of being perfect every day, I work on creating new good habits and getting rid of bad ones so by the end of the year I'm a better person - at least in that one area.  Yay me!  I actually set 50 resolutions this year.  Ridiculous?  Well, maybe, but I figure with 50 resolutions I'll succeed in at least a few of them. 

Since this year is 2010, I set twenty resolutions having to do with ten -- like have 10 family sports days, 10 mother-daughter dates, 10 parties, etc.  One of those twenty-ten resolutions was to think of 10 gratitudes daily.  I know, I know I just said I don't do daily goals.  I try not to miss any days, but I don't have to be perfect, so when I miss a day I don't give up and wait to try again next year, I just keep going and trying to do a little better.  Anyway...  It's really been great for me to think of 10 things I'm thankful for every day.  It helps me notice the little things.  They don't have to be completely different things with no repeats every day of the year, but I don't repeat the same list over and over.  So today I decided to share just a few of my Gratitudes with you and hopefully you'll share some with me, too.  What do you want to say "thank you" for today?

#1 - and this is a big one - I'd like to say thank you to my cute husband for being such an amazing dad.  Our kids are so lucky to have him, and so am I.

#2 - Orthodontists.  Strange thing to be thankful for?  Maybe.  But my cute little 10 year old has some funky crooked teeth, and she got BRACES on Tuesday.  Yay, yay, yay!!!  I'm grateful there's a way to fix her teeth so she'll feel better about herself.  She'll be starting junior high soon, and we all know what a horrible place that can be...

#3 - I'm thankful for this little nut.   
She's by far my hardest, hardest kid, but she's also the one who cracks me up daily and melts me with her cute little baby talk and funny baby ways.  She's only 1, but she's the size of a 3 year old.  She's incredibly smart - smart enough, in fact, to figure out how to destroy everything in our house in just a moment's time.  She's a little chatter box and has the funniest way of saying things.  She's an aspiring couch potato and even wakes me up in the middle of the night asking to watch cartoons.  She's determined to prove she can thrive on a diet of Trix yogurt and fruit snacks.  She was my most difficult pregnancy, most difficult labor and delivery, most difficult postpartum recovery, most difficult to figure out feeding, most difficult to figure out sleep, etc. but I wouldn't trade her for the world.

I have oh so many more things I am grateful for, but we'd be here all day, and I'd really love to hear from you!  So don't forget to leave a comment and tell me what you're grateful for today.  Remember to come back every week for Thank You Thursday 'cuz it's always good to take some time to be grateful!

No comments: